Monday, June 29, 2009

A superb memoir


Not my words, but the review in the Belfast Telegraph. Looks like Dying to Survive is making an impact north of the border.

"She writes in her superb memoir, Dying to Survive, that she suddenly felt confident. “I wasn’t going to play a role others had chosen ... I would be myself, rotten arms and all, and if you didn’t like it, you could ‘Kiss my a**e.’”

Reading her journey from 15-year-old heroin addict to recovering twentysomething mother, the defiance is understandable.

Rachael had been used and abused by men, dealers and society since embarking on her slippery slope just after primary school. Normally, 29 might be considered rather young to produce an autobiography, but Rachael has more than enough incident to fill a TV biopic or movie.

“Yes, that’s true,” she agrees, “although I haven’t been approached yet. There is loads of plot there. If I had to choose somebody to play me, it would be Mena Suvari from American Beauty — she’s quirky.”

But, Rachael adds in her light Dublin accent, she’s still trying to get her head round having produced a book. “It was traumatic to write ...”

5 comments:

  1. I hope that everything is working well with your new life ... careful your son... a strong reason to succeed....I am eager to have the book greetings from United States...Mauricio

    ReplyDelete
  2. my boyfriend was a herion addict and when i read your book it touched my heart you are a wonderful woman and the way you kicked your habbit for your child sake well done and best of luck pity everyone didnt have your strength x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachael

    If you were a biscuit what kind of biscuit would you be?

    Bren

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the right website for everyone who wishes to understand this topic.
    You know so much its almost hard to argue with you
    (not that I personally will need to…HaHa). You certainly put
    a fresh spin on a subject that has been discussed for a long time.
    Great stuff, just excellent!

    Feel free to visit my page diets that work fast

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing lacking in this book is any responsibiliy for her own choices. Lot of ppl named in it as influences are ppl who were in the grip of addiction bt dnt need mtv to bttr themselves.. she has ppl described who left d life behind long ago and now are ashamed to go out.. spotlights died down nw shes bk t gt go.. well done rachel none of this was ur fault or choice.. FU

    ReplyDelete